Brief History of Infantry Division 35
The 35th Infantry Division was on 1 October 1936 in Karlsruhe, in the military district V, set. After mobilization of the end of August 1939, the division was moved to the Upper Rhine, where used in the context of the Siegfried Line west of Baden-Baden. In October 1939, the division was detached and moved as OKH reserve in the Heilbronn area. In November 1939, the other laying on the Lower Rhine followed. In December 1940, the release of a third of the 101st Division to prepare was Light Infantry Division. From the 10th May 1940, the division took part in the western campaign, broke through the Dutch and Belgian border fortifications in the area north of Herzogenrath lock Eben Emael. Then crossed the Channel to Juliane Division, the Meuse, the Meuse-Scheldt canal and the Albert Canal and reached the Dyle position.
During the second phase campaign, the "Battle of France", the division served as Army Group Reserve of the Army Group "B" and no longer took part in the fighting. After the end of the French campaign, the division was moved to Belgium and used there for coastal protection along the Channel coast. In addition, the Division was preparing for the invasion of England. End of April 1941, the division was transferred to East Prussia and moved to the Suwalki tip. From here, the division took from 22 June 1941 at the Russian campaign in part, broke through the Baltic frontier fortifications, took part in the battle of encirclement Bialystock and then marched across the Niemen and Lida in the Smolensk area. Here, the division met the first Russian counter-attacks, so that they suffered heavy losses in Duchowtschina. At the beginning of the company's "Typhoon", the advance on Moscow, the division crossed the Dnieper River south of Jarzewo and then took part in the battle of encirclement Wjasma. Then put the division on its march to Moscow Ghatsk protective position in space Volokolamsk continue. This could break the division and still advance to the Moscow-Volga Canal. Here, the division met the Russian winter offensive and in severe rearguard actions, the division over Volokolamsk had to withdraw to the city Ghatsk in whose area the division remained the whole year 1942. With the removal of the front protrusion at Rzhev in the spring of 1943, the Division moved back into the area east of Dorogobusch. It came in Ossma-Dnieper-section until the end of August 1943, heavy defensive fighting. From September 1943, the Division is included the withdrawal of 4 Army on the south Ssosh at Smolensk. After another defensive battles in Pronja-section, the division was finally laid in late October 1943 in the Mogilev area, where she attended the local position battles to June 1944. At the beginning of the Russian summer offensive on 22 June 1944 have breached the provisions of the division, so that they had to fight through heavy losses from the boiler from Bobruisk to the west. She reached in mid-July 1944, the room Pinsk Brest-Litovsk. Here the division was collected, refreshed and re-equipped. Then moved into a defensive position in space division Brest-Litovsk. As of September 1944, here began the retreat and the Division went back to Modlin on the Narew-Rozan room Pultusk. As of mid-January 1945, the division in the region of Western Prussia had to withdraw. About Graudenz and Marienburg, the division went to Dirschau passing in the Gdansk area. Part of the Division was brought by boat to the peninsula of Hela and had to surrender at war's end there. Other parts were evacuated to Schleswig-Holstein, while the rest of the division in Gdansk went into captivity.
(Rough German- English translation from
Brief History of Infantry Regiment 109
Infantry Regiment 109 was during the occupation of the Rhineland on 1 April 1936 set up. The first battalion of the regiment was drawn up by the National Police duties in Karlsruhe, in Military District V. The Second Battalion of the regiment was drawn up by the National Police duties in Durlach, also Military District V. The regimental headquarters was also placed in Karlsruhe. The regiment was with the installation of 25 Infantry Division assumed. For the Second Battalion of the site Durlach from 1936 was intended only as a temporary location. On 6 October 1936 was the III. Battalion of Infantry Regiment 87, a III. Battalion of the regiment in Ettlingen, also Military District V placed. At the same time, the regiment was now also the 35th Infantry Division assumed. On 12 October 1937 was renamed the first battalion of the regiment to the I. Battalion of Infantry Regiment 107th This is also the beginning of October 1937 a new first battalion of the regiment through donations of infantry regiments 13 and 56 as well as from their own regiment was also established in Karlsruhe. At the start of the second World War II in the late summer of 1939, the regiment moved into the Association's 35th Infantry Division positions on the Western Front. On 18 November 1940 was the III. Issued by the battalion of the regiment to prepare Infantry Regiment 228th The battalion was then replaced again. On 15 October 1942, the regiment was renamed Grenadier Regiment 109th.
(Rough German- English translation from http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/Infanteriedivisionen/35ID.htm)